Sunday, March 29, 2009

Looming Book Sales APRIL 17-19


It's that time of the year again. I've received my postcard in the mail to remind me of the 9th Annual Booksale APRIL 17-19 supporting of the Friends of the UCO Library. If you remember last year, I went and had a good time, including (but not limited to) finding a chocolate chip in the spine of a book. It's so cheap to join, you should go. After all, if Walter Benjamin taught us anything, it's books can be anywhere. It will also be a chance to take in their exhibit Books that Change Lives now on display.

The UCO sale will be Friday-Sunday, 12pm - 8pm, each day. Friday is Friends Only, but you can join for as little as $5. I will certainly be there.

That same weekend, there is another book sale in Yukon, OK, west of the OKC metro. The sale is held by the Mabel C. Fry Library, but it will be at the YMAC building at 6th and Oak. YMAC being the Yukon Museum and Art Center, which is the converted old Central School building. A peek at Google Maps, it looks like it is on the NW corner of that intersection.

It will only be held on APRIL 17-18, Friday 9am - 7pm and Saturday 9am - 3pm. Since I didn't know much about it, and had not been to this sale before, I called them. The librarian I spoke to said that the friends group has hosted the sale for at least the 8 years she's been there, except last year. So, they have two years worth of booksale books to unload, and this year in particular the books have "been flowing in". A bonus, there is no cost to attend the sale, even on Friday.

In Bibliophiles of Oklahoma news, we have scheduled our April meeting for the 23rd. Email me for time and place.

.

No comments: